This deliciously creamy keto broccoli cheese soup is just the thing if you’re looking for a healthy and filling meal to warm you up on a chilly day.
This recipe combines tender broccoli florets with a velvety cheese base to create a creamy and comforting soup. Every spoonful is packed with nutrients and will tantalize your taste buds. Plus, you can easily make the soup yourself in under 30 minutes.
Whether you’re looking for a nutritious lunch or a quick dinner, this soup is a perfect low-carb option.
Table of Contents:
- What Is Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup?
- How Many Carbs Are in Broccoli Cheese Soup?
- Is Broccoli Cheese Soup Keto-Friendly?
- How to Make Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Storage and Freezing
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What Is Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup?
Broccoli cheese soup is a keto recipe without meat for lunch, dinner, and between.
Depending on the portion, this low-carb soup is either a snack or a decadent meal that fills you up for a long time.
Not only is this low-carb, high-fat soup keto-friendly but it’s also packed with flavor, making it the perfect choice for anyone on a ketogenic diet or looking to incorporate more vegetables into their meals.
This quick ketogenic diet recipe treats you to a healthier and more satisfying meal today. It uses select, high-quality ingredients that are healthy yet inexpensive.
- Butter: Grass-fed butter adds extra flavor when sautéing onions and garlic.
- Cream: Makes the soup extra creamy and rich.
- Onions: They give the soup a subtle roasted flavor.
- Garlic: The garlic gives the soup the necessary pep.
- Bone broth: I prefer to use homemade beef bone broth. However, you can also use vegetable or chicken broth.
- Broccoli: We use fresh broccoli cut into florets. Avoid frozen broccoli, as it will make the soup much thinner and not delicious.
- Cheese: I use cheddar because this cheese gives the soup an extra tangy flavor. However, you can also use milder cheeses like Gouda. The quality is even better, and it’s usually cheaper if you buy a block and grate the cheese.
How Many Carbs Are in Broccoli Cheese Soup?
A bowl of keto broccoli cheese soup has 3.6 grams of net carbs.
You can learn more about the calculation of net carbohydrates and the daily limit in my article on carbohydrates in keto.
Is Broccoli Cheese Soup Keto-Friendly?
Broccoli cheese soup is suitable for the keto diet.
Most people can eat the entire soup (6 servings) in one sitting without being thrown out of ketosis.
How to Make Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
The instructions below will explain step-by-step how to make keto broccoli cheese soup.
See the recipe box below for an overview, including ingredients, quantities, and temperatures.
- Sauté: Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic once the pot is hot. Sauté, stirring, for 1-2 minutes.
- Simmer: Add bone broth, cream, broccoli, pepper, and salt, and bring soup to a boil. Let it simmer for about 15 minutes until broccoli is tender.
- Blend: Add the grated cheddar step by step and mix the soup well. Take the soup off the heat and serve.
- Puree (optional): The classic recipe uses whole broccoli florets. However, you can also puree them for a thicker and even creamier soup. To do this, puree the finished soup in the pot with a hand blender.
Tips for the Perfect Soup
- Broccoli: The broccoli florets should be small. The cheese is more likely to stick to larger pieces.
- Temperature: the heat should be low when adding the cheese. If it gets too hot, the cheese can stick and clump.
- Cheese: Add the cheese very slowly. If you add all the cheese at once, it will clump.
- Stir: Do not stop stirring while adding the cheese.
Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 tbsp butter grass-fed
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 garlic gloves chopped
- 3 cups bone broth or chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 broccoli cut into florets
- 12 oz cheddar cheese grated
- Place butter in a large pot and place over medium heat. Once the pot is hot, add onions and garlic and sauté, stirring, for 1-2 minutes.
- Add bone broth, cream, broccoli, pepper, and salt and boil. Simmer for 15 minutes until broccoli is tender.
- Add the grated cheddar step by step and slowly mix well. Remove soup from heat, garnish with grated cheese, and serve.
Storage and Freezing
- Storage: The keto broccoli cheese soup can be stored in the refrigerator for about five days.
- Freezing: Put the soup in portions in a sealable container. You can store it in the freezer for up to 6 months. It helps to thaw the soup at room temperature before you heat it.
- Reheat: Reheat the soup on the stove on low heat or in the microwave on medium power. After freezing, you can also puree it again to improve the consistency.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How can I thicken the soup?
You can thicken the soup simply by adding more cheese or cream cheese. I do not use binders such as xanthan gum or arrowroot flour for health reasons.
What cheese is best for broccoli cheese soup?
Cheddar is the best cheese for keto broccoli soup because of its seasoning. You can also use Gouda for a milder flavor.
Can I puree keto broccoli cheese soup?
You can easily puree keto broccoli cheese soup after cooking it with a hand blender to make it even creamier.
Can I use a slow cooker for keto broccoli cheese soup?
You can also prepare the broccoli and cheese soup in a slow cooker. Put all the ingredients except the cheddar cheese in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours. Then, stir in the cheese and cook for another 30 minutes.
Mag. Stephan Lederer, MSc. is an author and blogger from Austria who writes in-depth content about health and nutrition. His book series on Interval Fasting landed #1 on the bestseller list in the German Amazon marketplace in 15 categories.
Stephan is a true man of science, having earned multiple diplomas and master's degrees in various fields. He has made it his mission to bridge the gap between conventional wisdom and scientific knowledge. He precisely reviews the content and sources of this blog for currency and accuracy.
Click on the links above to visit his author and about me pages.