Cauliflower Pizza | Keto | Gluten-Free | Ingredients | Freeze | Recipe
I like that cauliflower isn’t just gaining popularity in the keto and low-carb community. You can do anything from side dishes to soup with this versatile vegetable.
But after the first slice of pizza, I immediately knew this main dish idea was ingenious.
Although you can buy ready-made cauliflower pizza crust, it’s rarely low-carb. There are starches, fillers, emulsifiers, or at least a flour substitute.
When you make this keto-friendly cauliflower pizza yourself, you can be sure your pizza crust is made from fresh ingredients without unnecessary additives and is low-carb.
Best of all, the pizza will be super crispy, and you’ll barely be able to taste that it’s made with cauliflower!
What Is Cauliflower Pizza Crust?
The cauliflower pizza crust is a delicious gluten-free, low-carb keto recipe. It’s a simple mix of cauliflower, eggs, cheese, and spices that make a crispy dough.
The base recipe is a classic Margherita pizza, but it’s super low in carbs. Ready-made crusts like CauliPower or Costco’s Kirkland Supreme are too high in carbs to be keto.
You can top the crust with fresh ingredients for a healthy dinner and freeze leftovers later.
If you like this recipe, try my quick cauliflower rice and keto mashed cauliflower. You will love it!
Is Cauliflower Pizza Crust Keto?
Yes, homemade cauliflower pizza is ketogenic.
My medium cauliflower recipe yields a pizza with only 15 grams of net carbs (*).
That’s below the average carbohydrate limit for ketosis. You won’t be thrown out of ketosis even if you eat the entire pizza.
The frozen homemade cauliflower pizza crust is a staple in your keto pantry. It guarantees a yummy dinner in less than five minutes.
Is Cauliflower Pizza Crust Gluten-Free?
Yes, homemade cauliflower pizza is gluten-free. My recipe uses no grains at all. This easy pizza dough for keto has only cauliflower, eggs, and cheese.
Ingredients at a Glance
The low-carb pizza recipe stands out for its taste and simplicity. Although the recipe uses only three essential ingredients and spices, the pizza dough turns out crispy:
- Parmesan cheese
- Free-range eggs
- Himalayan salt
- Garlic powder
- Marinara sauce
Can I Freeze Low-Carb Cauliflower Pizza?
Cauliflower pizza is ideal for freezing.
You can make a delicious meal in minutes with a cauliflower pizza crust in the freezer.
The easiest way to do this is to make smaller pizza doughs and stack them with baking paper in between. Once you’ve baked the dough, let it cool and place the pizza crusts in an airtight container or freezer-safe bag.
You can also make larger batches at a time and freeze them efficiently. Frozen cauliflower pizza dough has a shelf life of up to 3 months.
To make a low-carb pizza, take it out of the freezer and bake it in the oven at 200 °C for 5 minutes.
After defrosting, top the pizza and bake it for another 5 minutes or until the cheese is molten and the crust is golden.
Depending on the topping, you can freeze leftovers if you eat them in a few weeks.
How to Make Cauliflower Pizza Crust
The essential point of preparing this recipe is chopping the cauliflower. After that, the keto pizza will be ready in no time.
But before you get started with the cauliflower, you can already preheat the oven to 400 °F.
There are three ways to prepare the cauliflower, although I prefer fresh:
- Fresh cauliflower: Cut the florets from the head and divide them into equal-sized pieces. Grate the florets with a cheese grater or box grater. Heat the cauliflower rice in the microwave for 4 minutes to soften. Squeeze the rice in a dish towel until all the liquid is gone.
- Frozen cauliflower: Thaw about 800 grams of frozen cauliflower overnight in the refrigerator. Grate the florets as above, heat in the microwave for 4 minutes, and squeeze in a dish towel.
- Pre-grated cauliflower rice: If you have ready-grated cauliflower rice at home, you will need 5 cups. Heat it in the microwave for 4 minutes and squeeze it with a tea towel until no liquid escapes.
Once the cauliflower rice is ready as the base for the dough, the pizza is prepared in just three steps:
- Mix the cauliflower rice, eggs, garlic granules, 125 grams of mozzarella, Parmesan cheese, and spices in a bowl. Stir until a dough forms. Spread the cauliflower mixture on baking parchment or in a pizza pan. My tip is to cover the pizza dough with a second baking paper and roll it out thinly with a rolling pin. This way, the pizza will be extra crispy.
- Bake the pizza crust for about 10-15 minutes at 400 °F (depending on the oven) or until the crust is golden and crispy. When the crust is golden, remove the pizza crust from the oven, spread it with the marinara, and top with the remaining mozzarella.
- Put the pizza back in the oven and bake for 2-5 minutes until the cheese is melted. Now you can slice the cauliflower pizza and serve.
Best Keto Cauliflower Pizza Crust
- 1 cauliflower head medium
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cups parmesan cheese
- 1 pastured egg
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Preheat the oven to 500°F.
- Remove the stems from the cauliflower and cut into small pieces. Then grate the florets with a cheese grater. You can also put them in a blender instead and pulse until the cauliflower has the consistency of rice.
- Microwave the processed cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl on high for about 4 minutes. Take the cauliflower out of the microwave and then let it cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer the cooled cauliflower to a kitchen towel and squeeze out all the liquid from the cauliflower.
- Combine the cooked cauliflower, egg, garlic, 1/2 a cup of mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese and seasonings. Stir until a dough forms. Spread the cauliflower mixture on lightly greased baking paper or in a pizza pan in the shape of a pizza crust. Place a second sheet of baking paper on top of the mixture and roll out with a rolling pin to make the crust extra crispy.
- Bake the crust for about 10-15 minutes (depending on your oven) or until the crust is golden and crispy. Once the crust is golden, remove from the oven, spread with the marinara and top with the remaining mozzarella.
- Place the pizza back in the oven, but this time turn on the broil function and bake for about 2-5 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Slice and serve.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is cauliflower pizza keto-friendly?
Yes, homemade cauliflower pizza crust is keto-friendly.
Can I eat CauliPower pizza on keto?
You cannot eat CauliPower pizza crust on keto since one pizza has 88 net carbs.
Is cauliflower pizza crust really low-carb?
Yes, homemade cauliflower pizza crust is low-carb.
How many carbs are in cauliflower pizza?
Homemade cauliflower pizza has less than 25 grams of net carbs.