Learn how to quickly make creamy buttery keto cauliflower mash with only four ingredients as a substitute for mashed potato.
Mashed Cauliflower | Keto | Carbs | Ingredients | Freeze | Recipe
What Is Mashed Cauliflower?
Mashed cauliflower is a delicious gluten-free, low-carb, and keto side dish. It’s a simple mix of cauliflower, butter, salt, and pepper.
It’s a simple base recipe. However, there are many possible variations, e. g. if you add garlic. Mashed cauliflower is one of the quickest and most satisfying keto sides.
Check out my keto cauliflower rice and pizza crust if you like this recipe. You will love it!
Is Mashed Cauliflower Keto?
Yes, homemade cauliflower mash is keto.
How Many Carbs Are in Mashed Cauliflower?
As a side dish, a serving size of mashed cauliflower has roughly 6 grams of net carbs (*).
That’s way below the average carbohydrate limit for ketosis. You won’t be thrown out of ketosis even if you eat three servings.
For this reason, mashed cauliflower is a staple in keto foods. If you like this recipe, you must try my cauliflower pizza!
Ingredients at a Glance
The keto side dish recipe stands out for its taste and simplicity. Although the recipe uses only four ingredients, it tastes rich:
- Grass-fed Butter
- Himalayan salt
- Black Pepper
In my opinion, it’s tastier than regular potato mash.
Can You Freeze Keto Mashed Cauliflower?
Yes, you can quickly freeze mashed cauliflower. However, you’ll need to let it cool before doing so. I recommend freezing it flat in sealable freezer bags. Afterward, you can stack it any way you want in the freezer.
Since it’s already puree, you can freeze this dish incredibly easily. You can puree it again after thawing if needed.
Can I Make Mashed Cauliflower From Frozen Riced Cauliflower?
Yes, you can use cauliflower rice to make cauliflower puree.
You will need about 1.5 pounds of cauliflower rice if you use it as a base for this recipe.
How to Make Mashed Cauliflower
As with most cauliflower recipes, first cut the cauliflower into florets. Then cook it on the stove or in the microwave.
If you love the roasted flavor, roast the cauliflower in the oven instead:
- How long do I need to roast cauliflower for mash? Roast the cauliflower in salt and olive oil for 30 minutes at 400 °F on a baking sheet.
- How long do I have to cook cauliflower for mash? Cook the florets in a pot with water for 10 minutes.
- How long do I have to steam cauliflower for mash? Cook the cauliflower in a pot with a steamer insert, covered, for 10-15 minutes.
- How long do I need to cook cauliflower for mash in the microwave? Place the cauliflower florets in a large bowl with 1/2 cup of water and cook in the microwave, covered, for 10-15 minutes.
After cooking, drain the cauliflower well and return it to the warm pot. Add grass-fed butter, Himalayan salt, and pepper. Puree the cauliflower with a hand blender until no lumps remain. Then serve it.
Quick Keto Mashed Cauliflower
- 1 cauliflower head big
- 1/2 cup grass-fed butter
- 2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp black pepper grated
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Cut the cauliflower into evenly sized florets.
- Carefully add the cauliflower to the boiling water and cook for 8-10 minutes, until the cauliflower is tender.
- Drain the cauliflower well and return it to the warm pot.
- Add grass-fed butter, Himalayan salt and pepper.
- Puree the cauliflower with a hand blender until no lumps remain.
- Serve the finished dish.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you thicken cauliflower mash on keto?
You can thicken cauliflower mash with grass-fed butter or heavy cream.
How many carbs are in cauliflower mash keto?
There are about 6 grams of net carbs in one serving of keto cauliflower mash.
Is cauliflower good for keto?
Yes, cauliflower is an excellent veggie for keto.