If you’re looking for a low-carb dinner idea for weight loss that you can make without too much effort, this keto cheeseburger casserole is for you. This recipe is packed with the flavors of your favorite burger, is as quick to prepare as fast food, but is still healthy and suitable for a ketogenic diet.
Table of Contents:
What Is a Keto Cheeseburger Casserole?
Keto cheeseburger casserole is an easy alternative to classic low-carb burgers that can be prepared in 30 minutes and satisfies for a long time.
The high-fat recipe contains hardly any carbohydrates and is ideal for a ketogenic diet.
The great thing about casseroles is that they require little effort. Pack a few ingredients into a casserole dish, pop it in the oven, and dinner is ready in minutes.
This keto casserole is made with juicy ground beef topped with melted cheese. Fans of the bacon cheeseburger can also top it with crispy bacon. Both kids and adults love this simple dish.
The tasty combination of ingredients rich in healthy fats will unleash a symphony of flavors that will leave you wanting more.
- Ground beef: I always use ground beef for an authentic cheeseburger flavor. Stay away from low-fat ground beef when following a ketogenic diet.
- Butter: Grass-fed butter adds extra flavor when sautéing onions and garlic.
- Onion: No cheeseburger is natural without the zesty onion flavor.
- Garlic: It adds extra flavor to this keto casserole.
- Cheese: I prefer cheddar for cheeseburger recipes, as this cheese adds an extra tangy flavor. You can use another cheese of your choice instead.
- Pickles: Read labels, ingredient list, and nutritional values. Some pickles hide high amounts of sugar. I prefer dill pickles, but you can also use jalapenos if you like them hotter.
- Mustard: Dijon mustard is the only mustard traditionally made without sugar. To be safe, check the nutritional information as well.
- Ketchup: This recipe uses organic unsweetened ketchup from Primal Kitchen. It is the only keto-friendly ketchup without unhealthy additives I know.
- Mayonnaise: I use only homemade keto mayo with olive oil, which you can make in a minute. Ready-made mayo consists of pro-inflammatory seed oils that prevent you from losing weight. Optionally, you can buy mayo from Primal Kitchen, which uses avocado oil instead.
- For a bacon cheeseburger casserole, add 7 oz of diced bacon to the ground beef before you stuff it into the casserole dish.
- If you like it spicier, add ½ teaspoon of chili powder.
- Some people like to add an egg to the meat mixture to help it hold together. You can experiment with 1-3 eggs and find out how it tastes best to you and your family.
- If you want a creamier casserole, add ¼ cup of cream when you top the ground beef with cheese.
- You can substitute some or all of the ground beef with sausage, ground chicken, or ground turkey.
How to Make Keto Cheeseburger Casserole
See the recipe box below for a complete overview, including ingredients, amounts, and temperatures. Here’s an overview of each step:
- Sauté: Sauté ground beef and onions in butter. Drain and add seasonings: Garlic, pink Himalayan salt, and black pepper.
- Mix: Remove from heat and stir in mayo, ketchup, and mustard seasonings. Then, stir in the grated cheese.
- Bake: Finally, pour the mixture into a greased casserole dish and sprinkle with cheese. Bake the casserole for about 15 minutes at 400 °F (200 °C), then serve!
Tips for the Best Cheeseburger Casserole
- Green salad with vinegar and olive oil is an easy and refreshing side dish
- For the whole cheeseburger experience, I recommend garnishing the casserole with fresh lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, and crispy bacon.
- If you want a traditional main dish, serve the casserole with keto-friendly cauliflower rice.
Keto Cheeseburger Casserole
- 4 tsp butter grass-fed
- 2 lbs ground beef grass-fed
- 2 onions chopped
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 4 tbsp ketchup unsweetened
- 4 tbsp keto mayonnaise
- 4 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 4 tbsp pickles diced
- Himalayan salt pink
- black pepper ground
- 2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F (400 °C). Grease a baking dish with butter.
- Brown ground beef and onions in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat for up to 10 minutes, until the meat is browned and the onions are soft and translucent. Add garlic and sauté for about 1 minute more—season with Himalayan salt and pepper. Stir in one cup of cheddar cheese until everything is well blended.
- Remove from heat. Add ketchup, keto mayo, pickles, and Dijon mustard. Pour mixture into buttered baking dish and sprinkle with remaining cheddar.
- Bake in a preheated oven until cheese is melted. Then serve.
Storing and Freezing
- Store: You can store leftover keto casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Reheat: Gently reheat leftovers in 30-second increments on medium power.
- Freeze: You can make large portions at a time to freeze and always have a quick dinner on hand. Individual portions of this keto cheeseburger casserole will be kept in airtight containers for up to three months in the freezer.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How many carbs are in a cheeseburger casserole?
One serving of keto cheeseburger casserole has 3 grams of carbohydrates.
How do you eat a cheeseburger on keto?
On a ketogenic diet, you can eat cheeseburgers with low-carb buns, without buns in a lettuce wrap, or as a keto casserole.
What do you eat with a cheeseburger casserole?
Green salad and mashed cauliflower go perfectly with keto cheeseburger casserole.
Is hamburger OK for keto?
The hamburger patty without ketchup and bun is allowed on keto.
Mag. Stephan Lederer, MSc. is an author and blogger from Austria who writes in-depth content about health and nutrition. His book series on Interval Fasting landed #1 on the bestseller list in the German Amazon marketplace in 15 categories.
Stephan is a true man of science, having earned multiple diplomas and master's degrees in various fields. He has made it his mission to bridge the gap between conventional wisdom and scientific knowledge. He precisely reviews the content and sources of this blog for currency and accuracy.
Click on the links above to visit his author and about me pages.