If you’re looking for a delicious and healthy breakfast that will fill you up for hours, this quick recipe for keto egg muffins is for you!
These delicious and nutritious muffins are packed with protein and healthy fats, making them the perfect choice for anyone on a ketogenic diet or who wants to exercise and build muscle.
In this easy step-by-step recipe, you’ll learn how to make a breakfast muffin that’s easy to store quickly. I’ll also show you how to add variety to this ideal low-carb snack with different toppings.
What Are Keto Egg Muffins?
Keto egg muffins are a quick, no-carb breakfast that keeps for a long time. They are ketogenic ham and eggs disguised as muffins.
These egg muffins are incredibly delicious and easy to prepare with simple and healthy ingredients like eggs, onions, cheese, veggies, and bacon.
Mix the batter, pour it into a muffin tin, and pop it in the oven. You’ll have made a batch of savory low-carb muffins in just a few minutes.
What makes this recipe even more appealing is its versatility. You can modify the muffin recipe by adding your favorite vegetables or spices.
Also, you can prepare large quantities in advance and store them in the fridge or freeze them for a quick and convenient breakfast when you are in a hurry.
These egg muffins are a hearty keto snack you can enjoy between meals.
So why wait? Try this perfect keto egg muffin recipe today and start your day with a delicious and nutritious breakfast that will keep you energized and full until lunch.
Are Egg Muffins Keto?
You can even cut them to make zero-carb egg muffins.
Are Keto Muffins Healthy?
Keto egg muffins are a healthy breakfast that will keep you full for hours.
Although many people fear eating too many eggs on a ketogenic diet, this is unwarranted.
Although eggs are high in cholesterol, they do not increase the risk of heart disease in healthy people (Rehault-Godbert et al. 2019).
Moreover, researchers have proven no plausible link between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol levels (Fernandez 2012).
Eggs are a healthy and affordable superfood.
How Many Calories in Keto Egg Muffins?
A keto egg muffin has about 110 calories.
How to Make Keto Egg Muffins
You can easily make and store delicious low-carb egg muffins for a quick breakfast at home.
Here’s a step-by-step guide you need to make them (scroll down to the recipe card for more details):
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Line a muffin tin with paper baking cups or a slice of bacon, grease a silicone muffin tin with butter, or use a nonstick muffin tray.
- Whisk eggs, salt, and pepper until everything is well-mixed.
- Add the cheese and mix the mixture. I prefer cheddar or emmental, but you can use any other medium-hard cheese. No matter how I vary the recipe, shredded cheese is essential.
- Onions or scallions are the other ingredient that is non-negotiable. However, you can incorporate other vegetables into your egg muffin variation. Green peppers, red peppers, mushrooms, or zucchini are also great for this breakfast recipe.
- Gently fold onions, optional vegetables, ham, bacon, or diced salami into the egg mixture.
- Then, pour the egg mixture evenly into each muffin tin.
- Depending on the muffin tin size, you must bake the mixture for 15-20 minutes until it is set. Keep an eye on the muffins so they don’t get too dark.
- Two muffins make breakfast you can easily store and take everywhere. You can also serve the keto egg muffins as a snack between meals.
Storing and Freezing
- Storing: These no-carb breakfast egg muffins will keep in the fridge for up to a week. I remove them from the silicone baking cups and store them in a large, airtight container.
- Freezing: You can make keto egg muffins in bulk and freeze them quickly. After baking, please wait 15 minutes for them to cool completely. Then, wrap them individually in plastic wrap. Then, put them in a large zip-top bag and freeze the egg muffins for up to three months.
Muffins from the refrigerator take 45 seconds in the microwave on high heat until ready to serve.
Unwrap the frozen muffins from the plastic wrap to reheat. Heat them in the microwave in 30-second increments until warmed through.
Keto Egg Muffins (Just 3 Ingredients!)
- 12 eggs free-range
- 7 oz cheddar cheese
- 2 onions chopped
- 5 oz Himalayan salt pink
- 1 tsp black pepper ground
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Line a muffin tray with paper baking cups or a slice of bacon in each, grease a silicone muffin tin with butter, or use a nonstick muffin tray.
- Whisk eggs, salt, and pepper until well blended.
- Add the cheese to the egg mixture and mix.
- Gently fold in onions and ham, bacon, or salami.
- Pour egg mixture evenly into each muffin tin.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, depending on the muffin tin size, until firm. Two muffins make breakfast you can easily store and take any time.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
You can freeze the low-carb egg muffins for up to 3 months.
You can eat as many eggs as you want on keto. Eggs are an inexpensive and healthy superfood. Thanks to biochemical research, we now know that the cholesterol idea is outdated and eggs are not harmful to health.
A keto egg muffin contains about 0.5 grams of net carbohydrates.
Unless you have a pre-existing condition, eating eggs every day on keto is OK.
Low-carb muffin cups also break a fast.
Stephan is a writer and a true man of science, holding multiple diplomas and master's degrees in different research areas. His greatest passion is closing the gap between the conventional perception of health and the latest scientific evidence – always following the data.